About the Courseif(get_field('main_details_intro')): ?>
This course will remind participants who have previously attended foundation level training of key legal and professional responsibilities, and update them on any relevant changes. The main focus will be on reviewing and practising assisting and moving activities appropriate to their work settings. These will take into account any different or specialist needs of the individuals they work with, such as people with limited capacity due to specific mental and/or physical conditions.
Refresher courses are one day in length. Other course durations can be arranged as required.
To refresh and update the knowledge and skills necessary to assist people to move. To improve the quality of care practice and ensure the health and safety of all involved.
By the end of the session the participant will:
- Have awareness of relevant legislation, and their employer’s policies
- Be able to explain the key principles for safer moving and handling
- Be able to identify risks, and high risk handling practices, and understand the importance of ergonomic solutions
- Participate in risk assessments as appropriate
- Show an understanding of the need for good posture
- Be able to apply the principles for safer handling when assisting people to move
- Be aware of a range of equipment that can reduce the risk of injury
- Have awareness of the importance of respecting the person’s wishes wherever possible, and the need to balance this with the carer’s safety
The course content of refresher courses is tailored to the needs of the participants or their organisation. Content may include any of the following;
- Introduction to relevant legislation
- Risk assessment and how it applies to people handling
- Basic principles of Back Care
- Holds and positions
- Assisting a person to stand with a range of support levels, for both one and two carers
- Assisting a person to sit with a range of support levels, for both one and two carers
- Use of transfer devices, including Rota stands and transfer boards
- Assisting a person to roll on a bed, with both one and two carers
- Use of profiling beds
- Use of a slide sheet to assist a person to roll
- Use of slide sheets and other aids to move up a bed
- Assisting a person in and out of bed
- Health and safety features of hoists and slings, including pre-use checks
- Sling application in a chair, on a bed, or on the floor
- Hoisting from beds and chairs
Enquire about this course...